Sunday, January 28, 2018

It was a CRAZY Tuesday

I have a couple of new responsibilities at work, one of them being a student teacher supervisor. On Tuesday, I had just entered Mountain Ridge Junior High to supervise Jessica, a student teacher who recently had her wisdom teeth out. I was checking to see how she was doing now that she was back in the classroom. I got a text from Allie. I'll post the exact messages between me and Allie and Keenan/Kamiko below:

Allie: I think I might have an appendicitis??????????? I could barely sleep last night and I can't bend over without my right side hurting so I'm gonna go to the student health center right after I'm done at the schools. (note: Allie was observing at a middle school in Lehi for a class)

Me: (insert eye roll) oh no. Take your insurance card. I'm at Mtn Ridge. I'll call later.

Allie: it hurts just to sit down. My insurance card is in my wallet at home balls will you send me a pic of it? I'm at Willow Creek if you want to come visit me.

Me: it might be a better idea to go to our doctor's office in Lehi. Premier Family Medical near Jack and Jill's. Call and make an appointment.

Allie: Ok I'll call after this class. Thx.

Me: I'm done at 9:35

Allie: I'll go out and call now and see if I could come in then. Could you pick me up and take me? Lol I went to call and they don't open until 8:30 hahahahah. I have an appointment at 9:00! So you can come after if you want to.

Me: I'm glad you have an appointment. I'm supposed to meet Star for a movie. Do you need me to skip the movie?

Allie: I'll let you know. I'm heading there now.

Me: I'll check with you when I'm leaving the school.

Allie: Ok. It better not be an appendicitis. I've had the pain since yesterday. Need to go to the hospital for a CT scan and blood work so you should probably skip the movie. lol. They're calling me right now to see what time I should go in. Ovarian cysts or appendix is their guess. Kaipo is here. Lol. Love her.

Me: on my way. You're still at dr. office?

Allie: Yes!

Me: our hospital is the one in Lehi.

Allie: yeah. either that one or timp in Orem. They're seeing which one to schedule right now.

Me: Does Alyssa need a ride? (Allie had given our TA Alyssa a ride up to Lehi. When Allie left the middle school, that left Alyssa without a ride back to Provo)

Allie: I just texted her! We get done at 2:45 and I feel like I'll be done by then?????

Me: I can get her. I'm free all day.

I meet up with Allie around 9:45 at the doctor's office. We go to the middle school to get all of her stuff before her 11:00 appt for a CT scan. Allie says that the dr. said if it's appendix, it's the strangest case he's seen since she has no fever and isn't vomiting. She looked GOOD, too. She had gotten all ready for school. Hair. Makeup. Etc. We were sure it'd be ovarian cyst and she would get on meds and be on her way back to Provo.

I let Keenan know what was going on.

We just laughed through the whole process. We also watched TLC, a channel we don't have at home.



The staff at the hospital was great. It took a few pokes to get a vein for the scan, but it all worked out. Allie and I just laughed. The scan went well. They said to wait a few minutes while the radiologist looked at it. Then, the nurses came scrambling in. It's your appendix. What did your doctor say to do if it was your appendix? Allie: Um I don't know. We didn't think it was appendix. The nurses called a surgeon and Allie's doctor. They prepped her for surgery. The anesthesiologist and surgeon came to let me and Allie know what to expect. She was wheeled in for surgery at 1:00 and the surgeon came out at 1:45 to report that all went well.


top left: inflamed appendix. bottom right: no appendix

what a beautiful patient


In the meantime, at 12:17, I texted this to Keenan:

me: taking her into surgery. Can you come to Mountain Point Hospital around 2:00? I have to get Alyssa and take her home and pick up stuff for Allie. I'll be back by 4:00 I would guess. Then you can go back to work/class. YOu might need to take tomorrow off to get Allie home.

Keenan: K. I've just informed my boss. I'll be leaving around 1:00. Anything Allie needs on my way to the hospital?

me: Nope. She can't eat anyway.  Thanks. Can you take a medical day tomorrow? Or work from home?

Keenan: I'll just take a medical day.

I was back at 4:00. Allie was recovering. We got her dressed and up and going. She was home by 5:00 and on meds quickly thereafter. She actually went to the movie with Kamiko and Kobi that night.

She didn't go to school Wednesday or Thursday. She did hit the movies Thursday and went to class on Friday. She figured she was just sitting around at home. She might as well sit in class and get points.

Allie is thrilled that she will never have to worry about her appendix again. It all happened on her aunt Rachel's birthday. Rachel said "What a great way to celebrate my birthday...by getting rid of a nonessential organ."


Cute Starlyn put this note up at work
And that was last Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment