Tuesday, February 28, 2017

By the way...I'm Irish

My whole life I've thought I was mostly Swedish...about half Swedish. I knew I was also Dutch, English, and a bit of Danish. I've never loved St. Patrick's Day. In fact, in early February I was in craft stores looking for some Valentine's Day stuff to add to my collection. There was also a good selection of St. Patrick's Day stuff. I thought "I'm glad I'm not Irish and I don't have to get that tacky stuff."

Well, the VERY NEXT DAY dad got his DNA results from Ancestry.com. We kids gave mom and dad the kits for Christmas. Dad is 37% Irish! We never knew we were ANY Irish! What?! Dad's only 16% Scandinavian with 25% Great Britain and some Russian/Finland and Western Europe with a tad of Eastern Europe. Crazy.

Mom is 73% from Great Britain, 20% from Scandinavia, 7% from trace regions (European Jewish, Italy/Greece), and 1% Irish.

This was all very surprising. While dad has a magnet that says 101% Swedish, he's not. In fact, If you do the math, us kids are more Swedish than dad is. I'm sure Derek will use this fact to his advantage for the rest of dad's life.

So....I'm Irish!
Got this sign for dad

Did a little decorating around the house
Jenny and me at a St. Patrick's Day party hosted by dad. March 17, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment