Sunday, December 20, 2020

Bonus Day in Arkansas

 Sunday, December 13, I got up early enough to make breakfast for Kamiko and Bekki. Hot chocolate, scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, and cinnamon rolls that I made the night before. I found a hideous ornament that featured an elf with a face mask, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer. 

Then Kamiko and I left and picked up their friends who were on the same flight as me. It was snowing. There was real snow that kept falling...didn't stop. It took us longer to get to the airport than usual. In fact, at one point, there was a hill and the Arkansans were driving slowly. We drivers who were used to snow knew that many of the cars weren't going to make it up the hill. I mean, you need some momentum. We finally had to just pass some.

We got checked in and the snow continued. We wondered if our flight would get cancelled. It did get delayed twice. Then they announced that it was rescheduled to Monday. I called Kamiko, but he had JUST gotten home after a long drive in the snow with inexperienced drivers on the road. We decided it was best to call an Uber. We decided to go with Uber XL, hoping for an SUV and someone who knows how to drive in snow. Imagine what we thought when we got in a minivan and the woman, Donna, told us she had just moved from California and this was her first time driving in snow. She even called her husband, who was away on business, and asked him if she could drive in snow. He said "yes, just drive slow." We gave her a few more tips. She was actually a very confident driver and did a great job at getting us home. There were only a couple of times on the freeway that I thought she was following a little too closely. 

It was fun to get a bonus day. Kamiko and I went to Walmart to get stuff to make dinner since we knew there wasn't much food in the house. We also grabbed sandwiches to eat for lunch. Kamiko made a great lasagna and we watched the movie Elf. It was a super fun night. It snowed all day. It did stop by Monday morning and the sun came out and melted much of the snow in the parking lot and on the roads. It was a smooth drive to the airport. We made it to Denver, which was Kamiko and Bekki's friends final destination. I had a LONG 5 hour layover. I did find more seats with missing armrests, so I was able to lie down and nap. It was great to finally get home. 


This was our bonus Sunday together. We really just relaxed. Kamiko did administer the sacrament for us and he gave me a priesthood blessing, in which he told me that Heavenly Father is aware of the decisions I've made and is pleased with me. 



I got to hang out with Dotty May while the kids went to a Christmas party

Made Kamiko's favorite: cinnamon rolls


Total snowfall by the end of the day: 6 1/2 inches! The annual average is 9 inches.


No comments:

Post a Comment