Sunday, March 29, 2020

Moving AGAIN...

Late January...time to sell our cute townhome that we had finished less than a year ago. The half bath with the apricot wallpaper, Mel's basement "studio apartment," and neighbors that we were getting to know.
Melia really turned the basement into a space that worked for her

It was a beautiful bathroom down there



Living Room on main level

An entryway should always reflect your personality. This Sweden map is just perfect + orange pillows

That cute half bath that's the envy of everyone

dining area


kitchen

guest bathroom

Guest room

Master bathroom


Master bedroom

Exterior. I loved the look of our place!

We called Lissa Lott, best realtor and friend. We got that house cleaned and listed in no time. We hadn't even been in it a year, so that was pretty simple. The listing went live on a Monday night. On Tuesday we had 3 showings and 2 over asking price offers. We took the slightly better offer. My gut told me to take the other one. I found out later that Lissa felt the same way.

The first buyers bailed. Lissa quickly reached out to the other party and they jumped at the chance to get under contract. It was a nice young couple. Allison, our niece, has since met her. She said she cried when they found out they lost the bid, then were so excited when they got under contract. They had been renting in a horrible place with horrible neighbors. This was the place for them.

In less than ONE MONTH, we had sold the house. I had moved into mom and dad's basement with the help of Jamie and Bob Stephens, Starlyn and Lee Hjorth, KC Cook, Keenan, Emily Smith my neighbor, and others. I had been in mom and dad's basement just a year ago and here I was again. Allie has been there since August when the school year started and the cat and I were back.

I was very grateful that we sold to a family who loves the place. Keenan moved out a week after I did, on February 29. I went over later that day to clean. Veronica Santos and Jalayne Cowlie came to help me clean. It got done quickly. That was it.

I have also miraculously found a place where I'll be living. My sister Jenny and I had a weekend getaway that she suggested. She met me on Friday after work and we were to go to a hotel in Riverton for Friday night. Then I had to go to a conference on Saturday to receive an award. She was going to accompany me.

I had been looking at real estate listings and was finding places that looked good. I saw houses, townhomes, etc. I even walked through a place with Mel, but it didn't seem right. I kept looking. Of all the crazy things, when I widened my search a townhome in Mapleton showed up. It's a NEW construction. It was listed as a 3 bathroom/1 bedroom. That's why it didn't show up in any of my searches. I asked my realtor if we could go check it out. Lissa made an appointment for us on the Friday Jen and I were getting together. We went straight from BYU to the townhome in Mapleton to meet with Lissa.

The place is in Harvest Park (the name of my junior high school), a planned community, with lovely single family homes. They're building 19 buildings right across the street from an elementary school. Because they are so new, I got in on a great price and an additional $6,000 off. I also got a great unit with a great location. I will have green space across the street from me, not more townhomes. I will have a nice dormer window in my master bedroom. The other 2 bedrooms have a beautiful view of Maple Mountain and others that Lee Hjorth will have to identify for me. He knows all the ranges here.

I'm in the 2nd building that will be done and I got the Nebo (the name of my uncle Jon's animal clinic) floor plan. The Nebo is the smallest, therefore the cheapest and there was a Nebo available in the building. It's about the same size as the townhome we just moved from. It won't have a finished basement, but I won't need that. I signed a contract and put money down. The rest of mine and Jenny's getaway was crazy. We grabbed food to eat quickly and got to the hotel. We relaxed and enjoyed just hanging out. Jenny said "this is great. No matter what I buy this weekend, if Scott asks about it, I can always say 'well, Dana bought a house.'"


Because the entryway is kinda long and narrow, they gave me a door with frosted glass at no extra charge so I get some natural light

So many things I love about my floor plan...a coat closet and a laundry room. I've never had either. 

The whole development: 19 buildings

I'm 303 B Notice that I don't have a townhome in front of me or behind me. There is green space out my front door. 

The finishes I picked with the help of Jenny, Lissa, and Starlyn. We went in late February. I gave them all a St. Patrick's Day dishtowel as a little memento. I love holiday dishtowels. 

I just love that Allie's closet will have lots of place to hang clothes and store things.

Since then, I've gone with Jenny, Lissa, and Starlyn to pick out my finishes: carpet, flooring, paint color, and any upgrades. I am getting quartz counters in the kitchen and master bathroom. I'm also getting an additional outlet in the master bath and a peep hole in the front door.

Now that I'm living in Mapleton, I walk to my place often to check it out. The building that is a month ahead of mine has a Nebo floor plan with the drywall up. I took Starlyn and Lee Hjorth to see it today. Mine is framed and I have a walk through on Thursday to check everything before the walls go up. Things in the world are crazy with the coronavirus and I'm hopeful I can still buy my place. I have faith that it'll work out. If I'm not supposed to get it, something will happen to stop it. In the meantime, building continues.

The Lord has really guided me in all of this, from selling our house to finding a place for me and the girls. Allie will move with me. Mel has moved to Provo and plans to stay there, but my place will be 5 minutes from Allie's job at Diamond Fork, so she's excited to live with me. She'll have a garage door opener and a spot in the garage. It's gonna be great. I really enjoy time spent with that girl. She has been informed she HAS to keep her space clean.

10 things I love about my new place:

1. Dormer window and high ceiling in master bedroom (and the huge bathroom and walk-in closet)
2. Coat closet (I've never had one in my own house)
3. Proper laundry room (haven't had one since our tiny home in Pleasant Grove when Kamiko was a baby)
4. It's in Harvest Park and in Karen and Grant Schultz's ward
5. It faces southeast, so snow removal should be reasonable
6. It has GREAT views from the upstairs windows
7. Nice pantry
8. Two-toned paint (Jenny, Starlyn, Lissa, and I picked a light gray called crushed ice)
9. Shorter drive to BYU
10. I'm fortunate enough to be able to purchase it MYSELF.


No comments:

Post a Comment