Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Love Better Club

I was approached by a student on campus to see if I was interested in being a faculty advisor for a new club on campus: Love Better.

The club's purpose is to educate students about healthy and unhealthy relationships and how to recognize each and get out of a bad one if needed.

I can't be an advisor, but I went to their first meeting. I had told my students about it and two sisters showed up. That was nice. They had a decent turnout. I enjoy participating in more things on campus than I have in the past. With the kids launched, it's easy for me to stick around campus and do stuff like that. They had 2 counselors from Counseling and Psychological Services at the meeting. One of them said something that really stuck me: "If you find yourself in a relationship and you're in a role other than partner, that's not a good sign." Well, if that didn't describe how I've felt for a long time, I don't know what does. One student made a comment that basically said it's important to see an unhealthy relationship while you're dating because once you're married...I didn't hear the rest. I just wanted to yell...NO, EVEN IF YOU'RE MARRIED. IF IT'S UNHEALTHY, GET OUT!

When I got home, Keenan asked me what I learned at the meeting and I told him about that comment. He was quiet. Understandable. It'd been almost a year and a half of him being underemployed. It had been since October that I'd been asking him to find a second job. It had been weeks since I'd passed job leads to him. I just couldn't do it anymore. I had to see how he managed life without me directing his moves. Turns out it didn't go very well. Not much movement happened at all.

Allie and me on a hike. We decided to wear our matching t shirts

No comments:

Post a Comment