Wednesday, December 28, 2011

So I don't forget

I simplified the Christmas decor a bit this year, putting groupings of favorite things around the house. Here are some pictures that I can use as a reference next year. I'm sure I'll tweak a bit. I had to be kitten-friendly this year.

Put pretty Christmas grouping on my favorite red cabinet
This was on marble-top chest of drawers by front door

In the corner of the living room.  Got idea from Sherrie Ritchie to keep snowmen out for January. I think I will make some cute grouping in the front room.

Shelf above couch in basement family room

Entertainment center downstairs. The kids hope this will be gone by next year and replaced with an HD TV.

The ledge by the stairs going to basement.
I have also been thinking a lot about the messages shared by our bishopric in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday. Brother Bowden gave a really touching talk about how we can be like the Savior. Just as His life was a gift to us, our lives are a gift to others as we serve them. Brother Murdock talked about how it is appropriate and necessary to talk about Jesus Christ. Bishop Mehr gave us counsel to live within our means and stay out of debt, have more meaningful family home evenings and to re-evaluate our temple worship and do better. It was a great meeting. The music was great, too. A nice way to spend Christmas morning.

We are working on the money part. In fact, the only debt we have is our house and we are quickly whittling away at that. We hope to have it paid off in a couple of years. I think we need to tweak our family home evening as the kids are now older. I think a meaningful conversation at the dinner table can work. I need to be reading the Ensign and New Era to be prepared for dialogs. Of course, plan for Sunday family councils and Monday FHE, but maybe cut down on the structure. I try to go to the temple twice a month. I think Keenan and I need to make an effort to go together once a month. That's what I will work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment