Sunday, March 10, 2024

Book Gang Bear Lake Trip

Amy, Annie, Trina, Corinne, and me

Annie Oswald, my friend and patron saint of our Book Gang, invited us up to her house at Bear Lake for a weekend in February. The weather forecast looked good. I was willing to drive, so I picked up Amy Christensen, Trina Preece, and Corinne Hawick to go to Bear Lake. I couldn't leave until Friday afternoon after my tax appointment, which meant we were driving through Logan canyon and into their hilly neighborhood at night. 

Wouldn't you know it...it started to snow in the canyon. I don't like driving through snow. UGH. We made it and Annie and Phil met us at the entrance of their neighborhood to lead us to their home. We watched a movie, ate snacks and stayed up late. There are enough bedrooms and bathrooms for everyone to have their own room. There's a big kitchen, big family room, and a hot tub. 

I slept in, then we went to Montpellier to see the temple that is under construction. We bought some groceries for Saturday and Sunday morning, then got some of the most delicious pizza I've ever had. Wow, it was soooooo good. I wasn't feeling too great, so I took a nap after we got back from our adventures. Some went snow shoeing. I was really looking forward to snow shoeing, but I wasn't up to it. After my nap, we got in the hot tub. Everyone exited the hot tub to make snow angels. I refused, but then Annie said "What kind of Swede are you?" Well, that did it. I had to prove myself. It wasn't so bad. The hot tub was so relaxing and we talked and talked. Amy entertains us with her crazy stories and knows about pop culture and Utah rumors. 

Phil treated us all to dinner and Sunday we woke up to snow. It kept snowing. We were supposed to drive home on Sunday, but it kept snowing. UGH again. Amy watched the radar and we decided to leave around 4:00 pm, much later than I wanted. It seemed like the best thing to do. We played games, ate lunch, talked, cleaned the house, and just had a great time. We even watched a missionary farewell on Zoom for a family friend of Corinne. 

Getting out of the neighborhood was a bit scary because of the slick downhill. Trina had prayed and asked for a "cloak of protection" and we definitely got it. Phil said that someone just before us slid off the road. We made it to the main road and things were fine the rest of the drive. Here are some things I loved about the trip:

1. Amy Christensen finds the best places to eat. She refuses to eat at places she can eat at in Utah County. 
2. Phil and Annie are so generous, sharing their space.
3. Phil is especially nice to give us women our space.
4. We are all brutally honest about our challenges with life, kids, work, etc. and we support each other.
5. Taking pictures in Paris and Montpellier

Amy wanted this potato-themed picture for her kids



No comments:

Post a Comment