Sunday, June 28, 2020

HOME #2438

It's Sunday night. I had my first home church in my new home today. I said a prayer out loud. I watched "Don't Miss This" for Book of Mormon study then I watched some Book of Mormon videos. I plan to read some in the Book of Mormon after I journal a bit. Journal was the only thing on my planner for today, so here goes.

I closed on my house on June 18. I think it will be a new holiday for me. Chapter 3 Day. Chapter 1 was my single days. Chapter 2 was marriage. Chapter 3 is now. June 18, 2000, is the day we drove into Utah from Texas. Crazy, huh? Derek suggested I pick a date to celebrate every year. I'm pretty sure I found it. On one spot of the papers, it said Dana H. Adcock, single woman. I'm actually buying a house. I am so blessed. I can't believe it. I wore the t-shirt Kamiko and Bekki gave me for Mother's Day.


I got keys to my house last Friday. Starlyn came with me and made sure we got a picture of me in front of my house. I love everything about it. I love the set up and the colors. I like the location and my neighborhood. Allie and I slept on mattresses on the floor on Friday night. It was nice to camp in my new place. I so appreciate my friend and realtor, Lissa Lott, for her dedication to this whole process. I also appreciate my mortgage guy, Pierre. He even surprised me with a lower than expected interest rate. That's one good thing that Covid has done: 2.875% mortgage interest rates.



I'm wearing headphones because I was on hold with Costco for 3 hours to settle a refrigerator return.

I moved in last Saturday, June 20. It was a true blessing on the timing. You see, last week, Utah was pretty open and clear in spite of Covid-19. But, this week, Utah has seen a spike in cases. We don't know if the state will begin new restrictions. If restrictions come into play, I imagine it would be difficult to get many helpers for a move. Again, I've been blessed. I had a big crew show up to help, including the local elders, some of Mel's friends, some of mom and dad's neighbors, the Hjorths, the Schultz family, and many members of my new ward came to help. I actually picked up and returned the moving van. That's a bit of a pain. It was a bit tricky to fill it with gas. I ended up going to Costco because I know the lot is big and the gas pumps are spread out. We got the move done very quickly due to all the great help. I so appreciate all of my friends and soon-to-be friends who showed up to help. It's hard being single and having to rely on so many for help. I'm getting better at figuring things out on my own, though. I drove a moving van and backed it into mom and dad's driveway. I filled it with gas. I hung curtain rods. I opened a pickle jar. Thanks to spray sunscreen, I was able to apply sunscreen to my back yesterday before going on a run.

Jenny came down from their property in the Uintas to help with the move. It's all kinda a blur. I know it was busy. The girls and their friends left around 2 pm and I was here in a house full of boxes. Time to really get to work. Luckily, friends had set up my couch and the rug in the living room, so I had a space. The girls have helped tons, from helping me buy pillows and hang pictures and hang curtain rods. They're great. I have Mitty now and, while I didn't want him, he's been a fun companion. He sleeps with me, but not on my feet. He keeps his distance, which I like. He doesn't whine and seems to like it here. BUT, as I write this, he sneaked out the front door yesterday morning and hasn't been back since. I've put his food outside and some litter. Those are supposed to help cats find their way home. I hope he does. Where Mitty was going to live has been a point of contention, but I was actually really happy to have him. Now I'm sad he has disappeared. I hope he shows up soon. I check every couple of hours to see if he's back. No luck. We're praying for his safe return.

I feel really blessed to be here. I went to church on Sunday, Father's Day, and felt glad to be there. They read in my records. I look forward to church getting back to normal, but I'll take Sacrament Meeting twice a month for now. A couple of neighbors have been by to welcome me. Brother Young, an older man in the ward, brought me warm bread. The RS president brought me a pineapple. Did you know the pineapple is a sign of hospitality? I walked to church with a nice couple. The sister's name is Lauren. I walked home with a nice sister named Anna.

Here's to Chapter 3 in 2438.

No comments:

Post a Comment