Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I'm officially training for a marathon!

I am no athlete. I stink at all sports. I can run, though. I run slowly, but I can do it. In fact, I just read a funny quote that went something like this: "no matter how slow you're running, you are still lapping the person sitting on the couch." I've run two half marathons and have always secretly wanted to run a marathon. Well, I decided that this spring is a great time to train. I started running when I was 40, thanks to my sister, Karen, and would like to accomplish this lofty goal while I'm still 45. Mondays I do my long runs while everyone is at school and work. I think I'm just gonna chart my own 26.2 mile course and recruit friends and family to run 3-mile stretches with me. I ran 16 miles on Monday, while doing 3 loads of laundry. That's how a mom trains for a marathon. I ran 6 miles, change laundry loads, ran another 6 miles, changed laundry again, then ran 3 miles. It took me about 3 hours. I will do 12 miles this Monday, then 18 the following. I'm getting closer to the actual run. I'm very excited about it. This is me, today, after finishing a short, 4-mile run.

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you!! Loved the quote about slow runners are still lapping the person sitting on the couch...which would be me! [Well, maybe not the couch, but the computer!]

    ReplyDelete