Sunday, September 11, 2022

Sharing a Student


Fall 2022 Semester has begun. I never think to take first day of school pictures. I get super tired. In fact, I read in my journal from a year ago and most entries mentioned how tired I was. I guess that's the theme for September. At least I know it will pass. 

I was in 110 on Wednesday, meeting my students. I always ask them where they are from, what they are studying, and something interesting about them. I got to the last kitchen - Kitchen 11 - and the conversation with a young man went like this:

"Where's home?"

"Pismo Beach"

"I know where Pismo Beach is."

"You do?"

Yes, my uncle taught at Arroyo Grande High School."

"That's my high school. Who is your uncle?"

"Mike Sears."

"Mr. Sears was my Avid teacher."

I had the student follow me into the dispensary where I have on of Mike's name plaques hanging on the wall. Zach and I had a great conversation about Pismo Beach, Arroyo Grande, Halcyon, and the ward there. He is in the same ward as my aunt and uncle, Carolyn and Val Brandt. He is good friends with the children of Blair Mankins, a former student of Mike's who I have known since before we both went on missions. Zach said he's camped on the property where Mike lived and that Mike helped many times with pinewood derbies. I can't believe I have one of uncle Mike's students. We took a photo and sent it to Mike, Carolyn, and Blair. I'm so excited to have this kid in my class. This will probably only happen once in my life. Mike has had a huge influence on my career. He taught me about the 4 F's of being a teacher: Fair, Firm, Friendly, and Flexible. I think I'm pretty good at the first 3. I'll work on Flexibility my whole life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment