Sunday, September 11, 2022

Great People at Work

As usual, this year I'm surrounded by great people at work. 

SFL Faculty

The School of Family Life had a retreat in St. George during University Week. We drove down on Thursday morning. Once we arrived, we had lunch and faculty meeting. We then checked into our rooms. Dawna Baugh and I were roommates. I really enjoy Dawna's company. She is wonderful. She works hard to help her students. She is very dedicated to helping them succeed. 

After a bit of rest, we met for dinner, then we went to the Tuacahn Outdoor Theater to see "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" starring David Archeluta as Joseph. I feel very welcomed and valued by my colleagues. They are all very nice. I try to branch out and to talk to those I don't know well. I already know a lot of the women well, but I'll try to get to know all faculty better. I did get to know a new visiting faculty member, Mindy Brown, on the drive down. She and I were in the back seat and tried to get on the waitlist for the return of MoviePass. Natalie drove us down there. 

The show was fun. It's no Broadway, but it was fun. The weather was great. We were worried we'd get rained on, but we didn't. After the show, we had pie for dessert. We got up early and I was signed up for a tour of church history sites in St. George. We got a private, early morning tour of the temple visitor's center. We also visited Brigham Young's winter home and the tabernacle. There is rich history in St. George. The saints who were sent there really sacrificed. HEAT. 

I got to know different people on the way back. I rode in a van that Spencer James drove. At one point in the drive, we all got on our apps to see who was related to whom. Nobody was a close relative, but it was fun to make connections. We also stopped in Beaver to get ice cream. I got home around 4:00.

I also get to work with SFLSA again this year. It's the School of Family Life Student Association and they are great kids. I get to go to presidency meetings and board meetings. I really like associating with these students. They work hard and they volunteer their time for important things. They have goals and plans and are energetic. I love the time I spend with them. I'll miss their opening social this week because I'll be in Lake Powell with the School of Family Life female faculty.

SFLSA Board


No comments:

Post a Comment