Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Flat Tire and Back to School Blessing

The craziest thing happened on Saturday. 

At about 5:00 pm I went in the garage and found a flat tire on my car. I debated about putting the spare on by myself or waiting for Kamiko and Jim Brau to come over on Sunday. My neighbor had taught me how to change a tire and I decided to give it a try. I wanted to leave the garage door so nobody could see me struggle, but it was too hot and too dark, so I was forced to open the garage door. 

I got out the spare tire and the jack and got to work. I had the jack under the car and was starting to raise the car when I heard someone ask if I needed help. It was a Mapleton City police officer driving around the neighborhood in a truck. What are the odds? I told him I wouldn't say no to help. He, like my neighbor, walked me through changing the tire. I feel more confident now that I've been tutored twice in 6 months. We got it done and I made an appointment for first thing Monday morning to get my tire fixed. 

I went first thing Monday morning to Discount Tire. I was the first one there, so it took only 30 minutes. When the guy gave me my car back, he showed me not only a screw, but also TWO construction nails. He said that I was fortunate that the nails went into THE SAME hole. Had they been in separate holes, close to each other, they wouldn't have been able to repair my tire. I would have had to buy a new one. 

What a little miracle for my 2005 Subaru Forester and for little ol' me. 

One of the youth in my Sunday School, JJ Kent, spoke in church on Sunday. He's leaving for his mission in Japan soon. He mentioned the Fano family. I had forgotten that Allie and Melia's former hula teacher is a good family friend of the Kents. I went right back to the cultural hall to look for the Fanos. It was great to see Aunty Maria and her husband, Sal. They are wonderful. We had a nice visit. 

Wearing a new dress I bought at Allie's Madewell in Indianapolis

Kamiko and Bekki came over on Sunday for a birthday dinner. I also invited Melia and the Braus. Michelle ended up being sick, so it was just Jim and Jay. We all had a great time. I made a yummy Korean BBQ Bowl, a recipe I got from my niece Sarah. I also made chocolate chip pound cake and an apple pie. I'd been wanting to try pie in cast iron. Honestly, it was no better than pie in glass. Oh well. I tried it. After Jim and Jay left, Kamiko gave me a back to school blessing. 

I've had a challenging situation with a student who has a 4.0 GPA and is just points away from an A in my class. I looked for hours and couldn't find the points for her. I can't justify just giving her points so she can have the A. I expect a horrible rating from her and imagine she'll tell her kids about her horrible foods teacher. This is the hardest part of my job. Anyway, what I remember of my blessing was:

1. Remember things I've done in past years to make my work easier

2. Make my classroom a safe place for students

3. Realize that students are going through hard times

4. Expect the best of my students, but be patient and kind

5. Heavenly Father is happy with what I'm doing and is aware of me

No comments:

Post a Comment