Sunday, March 20, 2022

STUDY ABROAD DIRECTOR!

Me with my official study abroad backpack

That title deserve all capital letters! It also deserved an exclamation point!

I had told Natalie that I wanted to go on study abroad this May to be helpful and to learn how it works. I knew there were already 2 directors and it would be on my dime. We found some travel funds to help offset part of the cost of the trip. It would cost me about $3,500. That isn't bad for a month in Europe. Well, we started planning and meeting and submitting our covid plans. The university came back and gave us approval to to to the UK and to France. Since we were going to 2 countries, they wanted a 3rd director in case a student had to stay behind due to covid. So, guess who is director #3? ME! It's all paid for. I get to help plan and help teach the prep course every Tuesday night. It's been a lot of work, but I'm so excited. I'm also trying to learn a lot. With upheaval in the world and Russia invading Ukraine, we're not 100% sure we're going, but we're planning and preparing until we hear otherwise. 

We will got to Edinburgh Scotland and learn about weaving, textiles, the industrial revolution, and fashion. We're also going to visit a pleater to see if it might be a tour we want to do in the future. We'll then go to London and visit some local designers, see some plays, including "Julius Caesar" at the Globe Theater! Natalie, Dawna, Craig (Dawna's husband), and I have reservations for afternoon tea at a very trendy place called Sketch. We will see jewels, castles, etc. Then we go to Paris. It was my job to line up a cooking class. I found a crepe class in Paris. Natalie and I plan to go to Euro Disney on our free day. Allie plans to meet me there at the end if she can get on a standby flight. We'll learn about designers Coco Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, and Dior. We'll see the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triumph, Versailles, and the Paris Temple. 

It's such a wonderful opportunity to learn, contribute, and prepare for future responsibilities. I also have all the wonderful travel accessories that anyone would need. I have bought a killer carryon bag, I've got a travel hair dryer, clothesline, packing cubes, detergent packets, spray wrinkle remover, and some clothes. I haven't bought many clothes because I have many things that will work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment