Sunday, March 20, 2022

My Story Includes the Title Associate Professor

Our director, Natalie Hancock, and I literally had the same outfit on at work one day.


Looks like I'm staying. Time to add some permanent touches!



Dawna Baugh, clothing professor, and I give Allie's boyfriend, Mario, suggestions on which sewing machine to purchase her for her birthday. Dawna was most helpful and Allie loves it!

I get to teach the high school juniors and seniors in Sunday School. I have seen a common theme in the Old Testament. I testified to my Sunday School class today that God always takes care of His children. He is the great provider. He always works for the benefit of His children and while our stories NEVER turn out the way we think they will, they ALWAYS turn out for the best. We cannot grow without trials. Brother Clements in sacrament meeting said today that we cannot expect to connect with Christ if we have never borne a cross. 

I've seen that in my life, especially in the last few years. Am I where I thought I'd be? NO. Am I blessed? YES. Am I in a better place than I would have ever expected? YES!

Something I heard in a daily devotional really resonated with me. It's from a blog called wrkwndr. The author said, "If something hasn't gone according to my mortal narrative, I've felt cheated. I felt like someone ripped beautiful pages form the story I was writing. Have you felt this? It couldn't be further from the truth. your future is unwritten. Those pages are blank. When we project our own plans onto those pages, we're scribbling in pencil over what Christ will write in ink. Turn the page with curiosity and openness. Ask questions you don't already know the answer to, and be ready and humble enough to follow His will over your own. Watch his hand scroll a beautiful story and be mesmerized by the grace and beauty that unfolds. You are the main character, but you are not the author. Hand over the pencil." 

It reminds me of Elder Cornish's sweet words to me in my interview just 4 days after the divorce was final: "This is not the end of your story. It's just the end of a chapter." Chapter 3 is turning out to be pretty great. I got offered a tenured position at BYU. We're still negotiating the salary, so nothing is signed, but I will be staying there, with a great salary, half tuition benefits for Melia, the world's best health insurance, 401K retirement benefits, and a strengthened FCS program. I am blessed! I get to go up for tenure in 3 years, instead of 6!


No comments:

Post a Comment