Sunday, July 14, 2019

Just When We Downsize, the Girls Move with Us

I don't mind; I just find it ironic. We decide to downsize to a town home and the girls decide to move with us. This necessitated a basement finish ASAP as the girls were sharing a bedroom. That room was FULL of clothes, shoes, books, sewing stuff, etc. It's a good thing it was a big room with a big walk-in closet.

Dale Triptow, my friend Jamie's dad, was our contractor. It took just shy of 3 months to get the basement done. We finished a living space for Melia, which includes 2 closets and a full bath. It also has a storage room. It's a great addition to the house. Dale and his subs did a great job. Mel is thrilled with her new studio living space. We even found a couch and love seat on sale for $499 at a furniture store that's losing its lease.

It's a great place for her and Allie and friends to hang out. It was a big investment, but well worth it. We also put in a half bath on the main level of our town home. It took a small portion of our garage, but it's so worth it. It's so nice to have a bathroom for guests to use without them having to walk downstairs or upstairs. I must admit, I didn't do well with the construction. I don't like messes and limbo. I was so happy to get all settled, to get Mel moved downstairs, and to be able to spread out a bit.
Mitty loves the new place. He likes that he can move around again.

I got this silver tray as an undergraduate Home Economics student. It was an award. It stayed in the box, in a closet since 1988. What was I thinking? I got it out. It was pitted and horrible looking. One leg was broken off. I was able to polish it up and glue the leg back on. I use it in the kitchen daily now. 

Repurposed the red hutch from our old place. I love it. 

The bathroom is coming along nicely


DONE! I'm in love with these removable wall decals. 


Here's the space the bathroom took up in the garage. Not bad. I can still park my car. 

When you don't have a coat closet, you make a cute nook for shoes, bags, coats, etc. I actually love it. 

Re-covered the cushions on our patio furniture. Keenan loves to sit outside. 
I love this corner of our master. My kids. 

It's been fun to have the girls here. It's been difficult to manage lots of shoes and bags, but we're making it work.

Just this week, though, Allie moved out. She got a job teaching in Spanish Fork this upcoming school year and has moved in with mom and dad so she has a nice short commute. I miss that girl already, but she's in a good place. Instead of student teaching, she'll be an intern. She'll teach clothing, teen living, and foods at Diamond Fork Junior High. She's really excited and is working hard to get ready for the school year. I've had fun spending time with her getting her classroom ready.

Allie and me at a BYU FCS Alumni event. 

Allie on her way to her last day of school on campus. 



No comments:

Post a Comment