Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Melia's 19th Birthday is an Excellent Reason to Try Fancy Cake Making

Melia likes cake, but not frosting. We were planning on coffee cake for her birthday since we'd had her favorite, strawberry shortcake, the week before. But, I found a cake and frosting she liked. I was at an event and met Cake by Courtney, a self-taught cake baker and decorator. I brought home a piece of her cake and Melia liked it, so I had her pick a cake from her website. She liked the Biscoff cake and the Sprinkle Cookie Dough cake and she left it for me to pick and to surprise her. I picked the Sprinkle Cookie Dough one because it looked very much like a birthday cake. Here it is from her website.


I spent all day Saturday, the 6th, making it. It wasn't difficult and I actually enjoyed it. I had nothing else to do so I just enjoyed trying something new. I'd never attempted such a pretty cake before. I used A LOT of butter. Now I want to watch Courtney's tutorials and really learn how to make cakes. Anyway, here's how mine turned out. I decided that since my sprinkles were quite neon, that white frosting would be best and I did chocolate blobs on top.


Sunday was the BIG DAY. Mel turned 19. We had a nice day at church and then we had Indian Butter Chicken with rice and naan for dinner. Then we all enjoyed the cake. It was really rich, so small pieces were plenty.



A word about the birthday girl.  Melia is going to be a great missionary. She loves people and has a strong testimony. Her testimony is simple. She sometimes feels she doesn't know enough, but she'll do great. She's very creative and is making a lot of her clothes to take on the mission. She's a loyal friend and sibling. It's sure fun to see my kiddos get along so well. I didn't get pics, but Kamiko and Allie were home for the birthday dinner and cake. I love Mel. I'm gonna miss her. We like to listen to "Newsies" songs together. She introduces me to the newest cool music. We enjoy $5 Tuesday movies with popcorn. She helps me pick out fun clothes. Wow, what will I do without her?



We're ready to have a missionary in Arkansas. Mel's thinking of her happy place already.
That's 3 layers of cake, frosting, and cookie dough! AKA: butter, butter, butter, and sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment