Friday, November 27, 2015

He's Home!


On Tuesday, November 17, at about 10:50 am Elder Adcock came down the escalator at the Salt Lake City Airport and was HOME! We had signs, candy leis, and hugs waiting for him. It was a great day. Jenny met us at the airport and mom and dad drove up with us. Mel's friends Kobi and Makei came to take pictures and video. I didn't want to worry about pics. It was a great morning. I didn't cry or even feel an overwhelming need for a huge hug or anything. It was just great to welcome my kid home after a job well done.
My childhood neighbor, Kevin Coburn, flew Kamiko home. Kamiko and Kevin in the cockpit

Pic taken as he entered security in Chile

Elder Adcock and his captain in Santiago airport


I track the flight home a couple of times before going to bed.

We went home and made him shower. I had to wash his only white shirt. He figured he'd need only one for the rest of his life. Not true. He was too tired to go out to eat, so we ordered take out from Cafe Rio while we just visited. Then mom and dad headed home. We were tired. We took Kamiko to the bank to take care of some stuff, including replacing his debit card that got eaten by an ATM in Chile about 3 weeks ago. We also went to the T-Mobile store to get him a phone, which has become his best friend since getting home. He doesn't put it down. I hope the newness wears off and he becomes a normal person again.


Elders Richards and Ware left SLC 2 years ago with Elder Adcock. Those two went to Santiago South, while Kamiko went to Santiago North.

Mom got the first hug


He's back!


Elder and Allie

Elder and Mel

Elder and Aunt Jenny

High fives (tens) from dad




Elder and his grandma

Elder and his grandpa



meeting his kitty

off to BYU

President Brinton came over and released our Elder. I thought it would be quick. I've heard people say it's just "ok, take off your name tag. you're released." Well, it didn't go that way with our kid. President Brinton, who's in our ward and is our home teacher, asked him a lot about his mission, Chile, the church there, etc. Then he asked him to teach one last time as a set-apart missionary. He asked him to teach his family the gospel. My boy was inspired and taught us about families and the importance of building an eternal family. He promised us that if we did these two things, we would find strength and love needed.

1. Kneel and pray every evening
2. Have family home evening every week, with Keenan taking the lead

We had told him we had gotten lazy about these things. He told Keenan to step it up and take back his presiding spot in FHE. I was grateful for those promises and suggestions. I really felt we were being taught by the Lord's missionary. The, he had to take his tag off. He got emotional and asked me to do it. What a boy! He invited friends to come over that night. We pulled out cookies we had made and welcomed everyone over. I finally had to kick everyone out around 11:00 pm. Mel had to get to bed and we all had work or school in the morning.

Kamiko joined me at work on Wednesday. He was struggling to get ready for the day, trying to pick out clothes and text people. It was hilarious. Allie observed from the couch as he came out with jeans and a soccer jersey. Her reply: "Because nothing says returned missionary like a soccer jersey." I ironed a shirt and he changed into more civilian clothes. There's plenty of time to wear the soccer jerseys. Work was fun. He ended up going to the car during part of my lecture and taking a nap. He also killed the car battery since he fell asleep listening to the car radio. It's ok because he had it jump started by the time I got there. Mel and I didn't go to YW on Wednesday night. Instead, we took Kamiko shopping. He got some needed upgrades to his soccer jersey wardrobe. It's been so fun having him home.

Thursday after work, Kamiko and I went to the Provo Temple. Ours was closed. I thought it was really neat that he came home and was insistent that he go to the temple soon. I thought it was a challenge from his president. It wasn't. Just something he really wanted to do.

Thursday and Friday he helped Sherie Ritchie hang her Christmas lights. He also went to the dentist. He helped with lights on Monday and Tuesday, too. She's so nice to hire him to help. I know she appreciates his help, too. He's submitted some job applications and is hoping something pans out soon. He's decided to live at home until the fall so he can save money for a car and expenses when he lives on his own. That sounds ok to me. So, we'll have all 3 kids at home, probably through the summer.

Things I've noticed about my boy:
1. He is patient. He doesn't get ruffled easily and seems to let inconveniences go. I need to learn from him.
2. He loved his mission. He really had fun being with and serving Chileans.
3. He hardly spoke Spanish in the office, even though his president spoke no English.
4. He reads his scriptures and prays.
5. He's an excellent teacher!
6. He expresses love to his family.
7. He has a blast with his sisters.
8. He has good friends who have been doing good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment