Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A Quiet, Snowy Day at Hapari

Ok, this is fantastic. It's quiet at work. It's snowing. I brought the iPad with the keyboard so I'm blogging. I'm also listening to Rush Limbaugh. What a great thing. I also brought President Monson's  biography to read and I need to learn a song for a stake camp meeting on Thursday. Life is good.



Kamiko comes home in one week. Yep, one week from today right now, he'll be off the plane and in the SLC airport. We made signs and are ready to go. People think it's funny that I've made signs already, but I know myself too well. If I wait til the last minute, I'll be busy and I'll be cranky making signs. Instead, we pulled out paint and paper and had a good time making posters on Sunday night. I'm ready for him to come home. It'll be great. He's worked hard. He's learned a lot. I'm glad he got a chance to be a leader.

Conversion is an important thing. I taught a lesson to the laurels on the subject and I've been talking about it with mom. The last few months have proven tricky for some members of the church as the church stands strong on doctrine, distancing itself from society. Social issues are pulling people in different directions. Women are wanting the priesthood. Gay marriage is more and more accepted. Society is getting divided and it's spilling into the church culture.

Recently the church updated their handboook #1 for priesthood leaders and the update got leaked. The update was that those in a gay marriage are considered apostate and can be brought in for disciplinary action. Additionally, it is stated that minor children of gay parents can't be baptized. They must wait until they are 18 and can move out of the house. I have to say, I don't fully understand the 2nd part, but I trust that the brethren make decisions and policies out of love - NOTHING ELSE. Hank Smith, a faculty member at BYU in the religion department said that perhaps it's to keep meddling grandparents/aunts/uncles from interfering in these families. I can see that. When talking to my friend Maria about it she said "hey, I don't have a single friend that I like 100% about. I guess the church is like that. I may not agree 100%, but I can still be a part of it." There are things we just don't understand, but we need to have faith. That probably sounds too simple for intellectuals, but it's enough for me.

There are going to be more things that draw people away from the church and closer to society. Conversion is important.

Allie has decided to go through the temple in December. I'm excited for her. She's a good girl, with her head on straight. Mel is doing great, too. She's been working on her BYU application. My baby is a senior. The kids are great people. I love them.


No comments:

Post a Comment