Sunday, September 22, 2013

I'm a Missionary Mom!


We had quite a surprise at our house this week! Kamiko had told pretty much everyone EXCEPT me and Keenan that he was turning in his mission papers. I knew he was working on them, because he had asked about insurance and who his doctor is. He also had me sign a paper. That was about all I knew. Then, Thursday night, I had gone to bed early. Around 10:00, he asked if he and Daysa, his girlfriend, could talk to me. I told him if it was about my brown shoes, she can't have them. She had commented that a pair of shoes I wore recently would be perfect for a mission. :). I pulled up my covers and told them to come on in. He at first told me they were getting married, which I knew was NOT true. She's very excited about leaving on her mission to Brazil in about a month. Then he pulled a white envelope out from behind his back. It was a mission call. He'd had it all day. He had only submitted his papers the previous Wednesday. Wow, what a quick turnaround!


Keenan had left to help friends. I told Kamiko to text him to get home quickly. All of Kamiko's friends were camping and they wanted him to wait until Saturday. I said "No way. We are opening that tonight." That's what he did. They ran to get Kobi and her sister Tori. So, it was Kamiko, our family, Kobi and Tori and Daysa. That's it. Kamiko opened the letter while we filmed. He fake gagged a bit. It is a nervous and exciting moment.

When he read Chile, Santiago North, I couldn't believe it. Wow, Chile! Of all the places in the world that are scary and not stable, Chile is not one of them. I was next anxious to hear when he leaves. Some kids aren't leaving until January. That's a long time away. He leaves December 4th! Awesome! The more I hear about Chile and look at pictures and missionary blogs, the more I think this kid has the perfect assignment. Wow, inspiration at work!

Kamiko's mission includes some islands (Easter Island and Robinson Crusoe Island and others)
Santiago Skyline at Night
Santiago Temple, dedicated September 15-17, 1983, by Gordon B. Hinckley
First temple built in a Spanish-speaking country
At first, we thought it was his friend's mission, which would make it our neighbor's mission and David Archuleta's mission. David is a young recording artist who took time away from career to serve a mission. Ends up it's not. They are in Rancagua. Kamiko is going north of them. He reports to the MTC there in Chile. Both the MTC and the Temple are in his mission boundaries. Brother Wilkins from our ward served there and said it was "a dream come true." He said it really has to be the best mission in the world. Here's what I have found out about Santiago and Chile.

1. Population of Santiago is just over 6 million
2. Chile has a very high literacy rate; a bit higher than the U.S.
3. The average high temperature is about 85 and the average low is in the 40's
4. According to Alan Crockett, who served there, the fruit and avocados are amazing! So is the beef.
5. If Kamiko can work soccer into his teaching of men, he should do well.
6. The female members of the church are rock solid
7. The men tend to take life a bit easier...not too seriously...and have a great sense of humor
8. The church is very strong in Chile

I'm so excited for Kamiko. I'm thrilled to see how excited he is. I'm glad he's going to South America and I hope he sees some of the humble circumstances I got to see. It makes you appreciate what you have and realize what's really important. I feel that he can really serve well in Chile. I feel like it was hand-selected for this assignment and that he has been prepared for this. He will be awesome. I love that kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment