Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Three Colors of Thread in One Day

Sewing and totally enjoying it!

Black thread: Allie got asked to prom a couple of weeks ago. It was late at night and we stayed up even later, looking at patterns online, thinking of what to create. She tried on a purple and black short dress we had purchased on mega clearance sometime ago and suggested we remove the skirt and replace with a long skirt. So, we were off to the bed, then to the fabric store during store hours. We got black satin for the skirt and black chiffon for over the skirt and for a bodice, since the original dress is strapless. Yesterday we dived in and trial after trial, pinning and picking out, we got the skirt attached. It looks awesome. I immediately texted my friends a picture with the caption "I'm freaking awesome." We now need to add to the bodice with chiffon to make a jewel-neckline, sleeveless top. Then we hem when she finds shoes. No one will have a dress like it. It was a fun afternoon with my Allie.

After a few hours of work, we see real progress!

Beginning stages
Gold thread: Went last week to the "expired food store" with some co-workers. It's a trippy place that sells items reclaimed from trucks and trains. They have everything from tools and furnace filters to yogurt and soda. They have fabric there and I bought fabric to make 3 skirts. I finished a gold knit long skirt yesterday. I had tried it out on Sunday and figured out what I was doing quite quickly and it needed some tweaking, which I completed on Monday. I like it. Maria asked if it makes me look short, to which I responded: "I'm short anyway, so I don't care." While I was sewing, Kim Rose Cassetti called and we reminisced about high school, when I sewed most of my clothes and would give her homemade items. She would always look at it and comment that there was no tag. No tag on my skirts still...and I'm 46 years old. :)
Do I look short?
White thread: I also bought chambray at the expired food store to make a skirt. I did that yesterday while the girls were at school, before we worked on Allie's dress. It's cute. I told Mel you'd think I bought it at the store. She said except that it's too long. I said that I bought it at a store with clothes for garments. It will be a fun addition for spring...WHICH STARTS TOMORROW! With the white thread I also sewed tabs on mine and Keenan's new towels in our bathroom. I prefer hooks in bathrooms and it's much easier to make sure towels stay hung up if they have hooks on them.

To bed around 10:30 after fixing a skirt, making a skirt and designing and attaching a skirt to a bodice for prom. A great day.

1 comment:

  1. That's my girl...always being creative! Unfortunately, I can't take any credit...you didn't get those genes from me. :(

    ReplyDelete