Sunday, January 8, 2012

We Love Pie (and Pizza and Knowing How to Cook)

11 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and worth it!
I love to bake pie and I make a pretty darn good one, too. I come from a long line of pie makers. Both my grandmas, Ruth Sears and Allie Hunter, made great pies. My mom, Ann Hunter makes a great pie. She loves pie. In fact, she almost killed her brother when he took a bite of her pie when they were young. Kamiko is a real pie lover and a pie is always appreciated at our house. I think apple pie is my favorite of all. Here's what was left of a pie I made yesterday, using my new handy dandy apple peeler-corer-slicer.


On another cooking note, we are starting to experiment with pizza and our pizza stone. Here's a picture of the super yummy stuffed-crust pizza that the girls whipped up after church. I don't think I want to order pizza again. It was so delicious. Way to go, Allie and Melia! I'm glad my girls cook. Allie especially excels in the kitchen and Mel is getting more comfortable. I see a lot of college-age kids who can't cook and I really want to help them learn. It is such a vital skill. I know we can buy lots of food and use very convenient already-prepared ingredients, but it really saves money and develops confidence to make things in the kitchen. In fact, over the weekend, I talked Kamiko and Sam into making their own pulled pork and pot roast. They were looking to purchase it already prepared at Costco for about $21 for about 4 lbs of meat. Instead, we bought roasts on sale and prepared them in the crock pot. They got about 6 lbs for $15 (and they got to be in control of the added ingredients).

No comments:

Post a Comment