Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Congress of the International Federation for Home Economics

I'm so grateful for Natalie and all the opportunities she gives me. I try to show that gratitude by supporting her in her role in our department and campus-wide. We had the chance of a lifetime to present at an international conference in Galway, Ireland. We presented about blended learning in a session on best teaching practices.

We arrived in Dublin and had to take a 2 hour train ride to Galway. We stayed at the Galmont Hotel and Spa because it was the best value for what we got. Wow, it was a super nice hotel. It also included a hot breakfast. I didn't think to bring a swimsuit and I kinda wish I had because there was a hot tub. Realistically, I probably wouldn't have walked there. 

The conference was held at Galway University, which was about a 20 minute walk from our hotel. We walked daily to and from the conference. Sunday afternoon, after getting settled in our hotel, we walked to the conference to check in and get our name tags, etc. We ran into some people that Natalie knows. They've now become people that I know and consider friends. 

There were about 500 attendees and about 35 countries represented at the conference. There were university students, university professors, and public school educators. There were 2 keynote speakers in the morning each day. Lunch was provided at the conference. I spoke with attendees from Sweden, Ireland, Kenya (one woman from Kenya was going to Arroyo Grande after the conference to visit her daughter. WHAT?!), Germany, Japan, Canada, and all over the US. I think Natalie and I were the only ones from Utah. 

I went to some sessions about food and nutrition, about the field of Home Economics, and about best teaching practices. It was fun. I only skipped part of one day because there was nothing of interest for me and I was super tired, so I went back to the hotel and took a nap. 

Wednesday was tour day. Natalie and I took the tour to the Cliffs of Moher, which is a rocky, cliffy coastline. It was beautiful. On the way there, we stopped at a national park known for its fauna and had a guided walk with an expert on the flowers, plants, and trees there. It was stunning. We also enjoyed lunch at a pub. At the top of a lighthouse at the Cliffs, I talked to a couple of youth who were obviously siblings and were having fun teasing each other. I found out they were from Danville. Again, how crazy is that? The top of the Cliffs of Moher and they went to the same high school as Kelly and Derek. 

One night I went on a walking tour of Galway and learned a bit about the history of the city. I found Ireland, overall, to be a bit tacky. They lean really hard into their drinking culture. I was kinda sad about that. I was really excited to be in Ireland, and I have to admit that I much prefer Scotland (from what I've seen). There is a monument to John F. Kennedy, who visited Ireland. They're proud of Kennedy's Irish heritage. 

We did get some great pub food. We got awesome Shepherd's pie. We shared a burger and fries. We also stocked up on candy bars. Their average candy bar, like our Snicker's, is made by Cadbury and is incredible. My favorite is the Picnic. I also liked the Lion bar. I remember getting the bars in London last year. YUM. I brought home a bunch of chocolate bars. I also brought home pins of the Hunter family crest. 

Dinner was often me and Natalie stopping at the neighborhood store on our way home and grabbing what hot food was left - sausage rolls, chicken pot pie. We also got fruit and yogurt and scones. We're such cheap eaters most of the time. I got a t-shirt that ended up having a horrible fit. The neck hole is soooo high and small. I ended up cutting off the ribbing and hemming a new neckline when I got home. It works. In fact, I'm wearing it as I write now. 

Our presentation went well. We presented after lunch on Friday, the last full day of the conference. We were in a session with presenters from Sweden and Norway. In fact, we were the only Americans presenting. I felt like dad set that up. I almost fell over when I saw the names of the presenters on the board - all Scandinavian. Whoa. We presented on how we use blended learning in our classes at BYU and how it's used in the public schools in Utah. We were asked to present at a webinar in the fall. 

We finally made it inside the cathedral that we passed daily. I could tell that there was stained glass, but it was nothing to look at from the outside. BUT, once we got inside, we saw some beautiful colorful stained glass. Brother Wolfley in my ward works in stained glass and mentions that stained glass is the perfect metaphor for what the light of Christ can do in our life. When we let the light in, the beauty shines. 

At the closing session they announced that the 2028 Congress will be in Wellington, New Zealand. You know we'll be presenting at that one. 

Before heading home, we took the train back to Dublin and spent the day in Dublin. The city was hopping because it was day 2 of Taylor Swift concerts and the 50th anniversary of the pride parade in Dublin. We went to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells. We went to St. Patrick's Cathedral. We also went to a museum about the history of Dublin. I was hoping to get to the bottom of how we became Irish, but I found out that Swedish vikings went east to Russia and Norwegian vikings went west, to Ireland. Well, we still don't know. I'm sure dad is figuring it out. 

It rained and rained all day in Dublin. It finally stopped when we got to our hotel. Natalie's parents were nice enough to use some of their Hilton points to get us a room near the airport. It made making our 6:00 am flight easy. The hotel called and paid for a cab for us in the wee hours of the morning. They also gave us a sack breakfast since we couldn't enjoy their hotel breakfast. It was a great trip!!!!!

Failte means welcome in Gaelic


BYU Family and Consumer Sciences takes the international stage





Cute little street in Galway

Bus to Cliffs of Moher with Natalie and Susan Turgeson, from University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point. She brought 8 students (and her husband who is hiding from our selfie).

Wait until you see this window from inside!




We walked through this park every day on our way to and from the conference. 

Burren National Park


Just cute sights and beautiful churches around Galway


This woman, Jacqueline Holland, taught with MaryJane McGuire. MJ went to Washington, DC, to teach for a year and taught at Jacqueline's school. What a small world. 



Cute little town near Burren National Park. We ate at a pub here. 






Look at the beauty of this park

Irish!






Look on the right of Jesus...it's JFK


We love Home Economics




It rained all day in Dublin




Nice cozy pub in Galway, our last dinner there.

Library at Trinity College

Old time Dublin




Life in old-time Dublin was not great



St. Patrick's Cathedral


I loved these old flags






Went to this old pharmacy that keeps its look from decades past and still makes soap with its 1930's recipe

50 years of gay pride parade in Dublin


The shelves are usually full. They hold every book published since the 1800's. BUT, they are renovating/cleaning, so some shelves were empty. You don't see that everyday. 

Harp is symbol of Ireland. This is a very old (and very small) harp


No comments:

Post a Comment