Sunday, October 8, 2023

Looking Back at my Back-to-School Blessing for Some Guidance

I spent the morning of my 57th birthday helping with FCCLA Fall Leadership

To say the last couple of weeks at work have been difficult would be an understatement!

I guess it's that time of year where excuses and weird questions just wear on me. 

I decided to remember the blessing Kamiko gave me and think of what I can do better. I'm reminded that Heavenly Father is aware of my students and their limitations. He is also aware of me and I have the power to make change in my work life. I can make decisions to leave work at work. I can make decisions to be positive and to not wallow it what is weighing me down. Here are some examples of the crazy stuff this semester:

a student in my colleague's class who doesn't work in lab without being told exactly what to do. He says it's due to his autism. Therefore, my colleague will probably change the seating chart weekly to spread him around. 

a student who wants to complete the protein lab with a meat substitute. You can't really learn how to cook with meat without cooking with meat. 

a student who prefers to not tie her hair back in lab so scars don't show. I will suggest turtle necks or scarves. I will also make sure she's getting the emotional and psychological support she needs.

a student who forgot to take a quiz, thinking they closed in the morning, not at midnight.

a student who has received 0's on her cooking assignments because she misunderstood the instructions and didn't ask until now what she can do. 

That's just in 6 weeks. I'm probably forgetting something. 

I was reading in the New Testament, catching up from a couple of weeks of being behind and I read a few verses that were helpful as I contemplate how to work through this and not make my negative attitude a permanent part of my personality. 

Ephesians 4:29-31 cautions against anger, bitterness, evil speaking, and wrath. I think a way I can keep those things at bay is to start my day with gospel study. 

Galatians 5:22-23 talks of the fruits of the spirit, which I desire to have. It would be much better to be surrounded by joy, love, longsuffering, and gentleness, than by the above. Again, a bit of gospel study or conference in the morning should help. 

I remember that I was hopeful in August. I just want to get back to that spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment