Sunday, February 12, 2023

Work and Fun

I get to be a faculty advisor for our student association. I love that part of my job. I get to rub shoulders with and mentor some pretty incredible students. This past week we shared Valentines at our board meeting. I found scratch and sniff cards that smelled like tacos, pizza, donuts, and chocolate chip cookies. I thought it was appropriate from the cooking teacher. I plan to give them to my class on Tuesday. 

SFLSA Board in the 2022-2023 tshirt

My TA Michaela and I recently presented at our UACTE conference. She and I demonstrated recipes you can make in a 50-minute lab using the Instant Pot. We made macaroni and cheese and applesauce for them to try. We also talked a bit about how to convert a conventional recipe to Instant Pot. A lot of former students were there, so I asked them all to stick around for a photo. I don't look forward to conferences, but it's always fun to see friends in my field. I saw former students, former classmates, former roommates, etc. The presentation went really well, in spite of me forgetting the lid to my Instant Pot. We made it work and demonstrated one recipe at a time instead of both at the same time. Oops. 

All of these folks are current or former students

I got to see 2 former roommates this week. Kathy Thompson Gray was in town. She came Tuesday night. I'm glad I had made baked potato soup on Monday. We had soup quickly before going to the church for a Relief Society activity. I'm on the activity committee. The activity was a get-to-know you night and we had a great time. Not great attendance, but those that came had a great time. That's all that matters. We'll gradually get more. Kathy spent the night at my house and headed to her daughter's house on Wednesday. We had a fun visit, catching up on each other's lives. Then Syd Hoopes Ash reached out. She came to campus on Friday. We got to visit for about 30 minutes in my office before I had to get to a meeting. Kathy lives in Arizona and Syd lives in Kansas. Both are lovely women. It's nice to connect. 

Life is good. 

Rose Hunter has a birthday coming up. I told Allie that she was going shopping with her mom to get makeup for her 12th birthday. Allie said her cousins Sarah and Allison told her to get mascara first. Allie said she needed to give Rose the same advice. We quickly had a video chat with Sarah and Allison to laugh about it and to discuss what Rose should get. Allison and I said blush and mascara. Allie and Sarah entertained the thought of mascara and eyebrows. Allison and I were adamant that eyebrows are a NO for a 12-year old. We laughed and laughed. 

Allie Adcock, Sarah Christesen, Allison DeVuyst, and me

Kristen and Doug were in town. Mel and I went to Allison and James' house last night for pizza and movie night with Kristen, Doug, James, Allison, Audrey, and Mac. We had a great time. Mel and I had worked in the morning, cleaning my basement to prepare for finishing it. That is coming as soon as I get the approval from the city. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment