Tuesday, June 21, 2022

London Week 1 May 7 - 14

On May 7, Mel's 24th birthday, we took a train from Edinburgh to London. We stayed in South Kensington, in one of the most expensive zip codes in the world. As Dawna put it: "Luxury living on the outside. Dorm living on the inside." I loved it!

I had my own room on the 4th floor of a beautiful building. I had a twin bed with a moisture proof mattress. I had a very flat pillow that I eventually got used to. I had a wardrobe, a bathroom, and a mini-fridge. On our floor were 2 fully stocked kitchens that we could use. I never used the kitchen because I didn't want to do dishes. The thing we didn't expect was that there were no towels for the students. We were supposed to bring them, but we didn't know. So, we went to a Walmart-type of store and bought everyone towels, washcloths, and a bathmat. The young women on the trip had an entire apartment across the street from Kensington Gardens. It had a huge kitchen and living area and lots of bedrooms and bathrooms. There were a few complaints about the conditions after being in a full service hotel, but we got over that quickly when we realized we were living within walking distance of Hyde Park Chapel, the V&A Museum, Kensington Palace, and Venci Gelato! Some of the students had a dinner group. One student really likes to cook, so they split the cost of groceries. The one student cooked, they all ate, and the non-cooks cleaned. I kept my fridge stocked with yogurt, fruit, salami, bread, cheese, and arugula. I love sandwiches, yogurt, and fruit. The grocery store at the corner, Partridge's, had everything we needed. They even had Dr. Pepper. Some students found another little store that had Dr. Pepper Zero. One thing I realized I should have bought more of in London is chocolate. There are tons of different chocolate bars. Next time!

Mother's Day back home! Sunday we walked to the historic Hyde Park Chapel for stake conference. After church we went to the V&A Museum. Victoria and Albert were royals. The museum had a limited-time special exhibit on the history of menswear. It is a beautiful museum. They have a fashion exhibit that's always there. We all enjoyed the menswear exhibit. With the museum being in walking distance, we encouraged students to return during our 2 weeks in London. Many of us did go back. What a gem! It's also free! The special exhibits cost extra, but entrance to rooms and rooms of art and history is FREE. 

Monday we met up with Elle and Valeriya of Facts and Dreams. They are two women who own a tourism business that caters to fashion and design and business. They took us on 2 great tours with local designers and we had a wonderful lunch at a pub in their outdoor area. It was a lot of walking and standing, but it was so educational. We went to BEEN, a bag designer then to Raeburn. Both companies really emphasize sustainability and reusing materials. Raeburn started by making clothing from military parachutes. Their story is interesting and their clothing and accessories were really cool. BEEN makes bags from recycled material, including vinyl signs, hence "BEEN." Everything has been something else. That evening we went to the Globe Theater to see "Julius Caesar." This was one thing I insisted on, but was not a great idea in the end. It was a bad way to end a VERY long day. I would love to see a play at the Globe if I hadn't spent all day out and about and standing a lot. To top it off, the only tickets they could get for our students were standing tickets. We directors had seats, but the students had to stand. It was horrible to see them standing while we were more comfortable. Not again. If a good play is at the Globe and they can't get us all seats, we won't go. It was an experience, though. Most of us left after Caesar was killed, at intermission. Some of the female students took our seats and stayed until the end. The brave ones!

Tuesday we had the time of our lives with the one and only Cindy Lawford. She has taken Dawna and students on walking tours before. She is an American, who has lived in London for decades. She has twins that she raised in London. She does the most interesting tours and has such a fun personality. We toured Saville Row, where bespoke (custom) menswear has been made since the 1800's. We learned about Beau Brummell, the first man of fashion. Cindy wore a black top hat, a black evening coat from the 1920's and bright pink Birkenstock boots. She is about my age and is absolutely infectious. We went to stores that had the most beautiful fabrics and learned the process for ordering and getting custom shirts and suits. One store has done the tuxedos for James Bond films. They have made suits for many celebrities, including Christopher Plummer from Sound of Music. The store employees were very generous with their time, sharing their histories and what they do. The young men in our group got to try on a suit coat that was being made. Logan said he'll never be the same. Got to go to Alexander McQueen's flagship store and see a wonderful exhibit. After the tour, some of us went to tour Westminster Abbey. It is beautiful and houses the coronation throne and the tomb of the unknown soldier. After the Abbey, we went to the West End Theater District to have dinner and to see Hamilton! A dream come true. We had seats at the top of the theater, but I was in the room where it happened. Loved it! Poor Natalie had a man who bought a standing room only ticket stand RIGHT BEHIND HER and sing the whole time. Dawna and I just laughed. 

Wednesday was the FIRST real rainy day we had. We took a bus to Stonehenge, then to Bath. It poured the whole time we were at Stonehenge. Many students didn't have umbrellas or jackets. I don't get it. Oh well. We had some drowned rats for sure. I bought a mini Stonehenge for my advent calendar. That's going to be my new thing. I'm going to fill it with miniatures from my travels. We then went to Bath to see the Roman Baths and the Fashion Museum in Bath. It is nice to get on a bus, sleep, leave stuff on the bus, etc. It gets tiring to carry a bag with everything I MIGHT need for the day. I'm happy when I can leave some stuff on the bus. The Fashion Museum has a really fun workshop that our program has done before. We all go into a room with tables and art and craft supplies. Students are given clipboards and pencils. They are given an hour to peruse the fashion exhibit, sketching things that inspire them. It showcases how fashion can influence art and how art can influence fashion. They then return to the big room and create something with all the supplies. They can make anything they want...something that ties to what inspired them. It was really fun to see them work. Sarah Adamson who does a lot with folding and pleating did some cool folding. After that, we toured the Roman Baths. When it was time to get on the bus and go back to London, one student was missing. Natalie and I had to divide and conquer and find the student. She had lost track of time. Set an alarm! 

Thursday was another walking tour with Cindy Lawford. This one is entitled Ballgowns to Bumsters. It highlighted the history of women's fashion in London, including punk and street fashion. We saw stores that sell vintage clothing. We visited some designers and went to Dover Street Market, a place that sells many unique designer items. They had some Supreme items. I ended up going to the Supreme store to get Kamiko a t-shirt. We went to Liberty department store. That is an overwhelming store, but I loved the fabric section and bought 1 1/2 meters of a cute floral to make a skirt. I also bought a cute pink bandana for myself and some tiny scissors for Mario to add to his travel sewing kit. We also went to Oxford Street, where there are lovely shops, from clothing to housewares. I was shocked at how tired the students get on these amazing walking tours. Sure, there is a lot of walking and a lot of standing, but there is so much to learn and to see. They ask when it will be over and when we will be eating lunch. WHAT?! Bring a snack. Suck it up and enjoy! I also remember that when I was young I wasn't too resilient. I remember really complaining on an VERY uncomfortable bus ride with Sister Durtsche on my mission and she told me to stop whining. She did it in a nice way, but that was the message. Maybe next year we'll tell them that if they don't eat breakfast and don't carry a snack, they're not allowed to ask about food. Natalie and I went to Wagamama for dinner and went on a Jack the Ripper Tour. That tour was fascinating. I found a lot of ties between it and the Vaults tour in Edinburgh. I especially felt for the women. The plight of a single woman in the late 1800's was horrible. You were often forced into prostitution to support yourself. Many were drunks and prostitutes. So sad. We saw a pub that Jack the Ripper and his victims most likely frequented. Annie Oswald recommended it and I loved it. A bit creepy with photos, but fascinating and our guide was awesome. A real Jack the Ripper expert since her childhood. 

Went to the Tower of London on Friday and met up with a former student, Erica Cockett, who was in town with her mom and a co-worker. Erica is a flight attendant for Delta. It was fun to walk through the exhibits and catch up with her. I must admit that I didn't see as much as I would have wanted to see, but it was so fun to see her. People and relationships are important. It really is magical to walk around London, to see the Thames, to eat fish and chips. I had to pinch myself everyday. I couldn't believe I was there. After the tower, we did go get fish and chips. That was a bit of a joke. I saw people with small paper cones with fish and chips. That's what I wanted. I thought that is what I ordered, but I got a giant portion of fish and chips. Next time I'll ask what the small cone is. LOL. Natalie and I walked to eat our lunch seated by the river. By the time we got to the river with our giant fish, it was a bit cooled and the vinegar had made the chips slightly soggy. I'll do better next time. LOL. We then went to Kensington Palace. It was great to tour that. Then, Natalie and I went to see "Downton Abbey: A New Era." We got to see it a week before its release in the US. We went to a fun old theater with velvet seats and got popcorn. It was fo fun. 

Saturday was our first full FREE DAY. We had scheduled a noon tea at Sketch. It's a place that has very unique interior decor, especially their bathroom. They do a French style tea. We didn't know what to expect, but we really enjoyed ourselves. Craig, Dawna, Natalie, and I went. I tried caviar for the first time. I also had the most perfect dollop of perfectly cooked egg yolk on mornay sauce. The yolk is 63 degrees. The scones, finger sandwiches, and cakes were small and perfect. It was a fun experience. I got the lemon verbena tea and it was really, really good. Their sparkling water was the best I've ever had. It was so slightly sweet. Just perfect. I didn't know at all what I was doing, as I've never been to tea before, but I enjoyed myself. Don't think I'll do it again, as it's very pricey. I might go for their traditional English breakfast next time. I'll see if Natalie and Dawna are up for it. 

That's the end of week 1 in London! It was soooooo dreamy!

The Globe: a dream come true since 7th grade English with Mr. Lipps, who was Shakespeare-obsessed

With Erica Cockett at the Tower of London

What a dream to see this a week before anyone in the US could see it. We could have really put out some spoilers, but we didn't. 

Beautiful bathroom at the Curzon Mayfair Theater

Students had a photo contest in Harrod's. Find the most expensive item, the most outrageous item, etc. These 3 (Jonathan, Logan, and Abigail) cracked us up.

Another photo with Erica Cockett

Fashion Museum in Bath


Why are the most complicated garments from a time when there were no sewing machines?

Me and Maya playing dress up at the Fashion Museum. Couldn't help myself. I had to join in on the fun. 




All from the Fashion Museum

I absolutely LOVED this storefront in Bath. Just wish they weren't working on it with a yellow ladder.

Church in Bath


Roman Baths


Very typical lunch or dinner for me, depending on when I bought a big meal. If I had a big lunch, this was dinner. If I was expecting a big dinner, this was lunch. Never got old. 



Part of our tour with Cindy, learning about new designers of women's clothing. Beautiful silk, often bias cut. 


Givenchy


Tweeds!


Look at these beautiful sitting rooms for customers. 

This room has a tie to WWII, but I don't remember what. LOL. Google it. 



Many students went nuts when we stopped in front of Simone Rocha's store





Fabric at Liberty

Me in front of Liberty with my scarf, fabric, and scissors in the bag

Wagamama dinner

The queen's 70th jubilee is in early June. London was getting ready!

Every time I saw beautiful flowers, I had to take a picture and send to my sister Karen. She is a flower lover!

For dad...a photo in front of Lord Bayden Powell's house. He founded Boy Scouts.

Our perfect Jack the Ripper tour guide

Jack the Ripper wandered these streets

Loved the pink on this building




Ten Bells Tavern where Jack the Ripper and victims probably drank

Getting our fish and chips and wearing my new Liberty scarf

Had to get a photo of the lettering on this wall. It definitely spoke to us as directors. 

Say "cheese" Natalie - Kensington Palace

Took this photo at Kensington Palace, kinda as a joke. Got a lot of compliments on it. I guess I look royal. 


Walked around Kensington Gardens and found the Diana memorial garden

Downton Time!!!!!

Definitely NOT an American sized popcorn




The students with their artwork at the Fashion Museum in Bath

Went to see Buckingham Palace - couldn't get close because they're prepping for the jubilee

Fish and chips by the Thames

Jared, Maya, Sarah, guide, me and Natalie

This was my bed. At the foot of it is the mini fridge, then the entrance to the bathroom.

Elle teaching us about trend forecasting

Excited to be in the room where it happened - Alexander Hamilton. Dawna would often sing songs from the show and it made us all laugh

All of us at BEEN



All of us at Raeburn


My desk and wardrobe. The hooks came in handy for my jackets. There were flowers on the desk when we checked in. My suitcase and shoes found their way to under the bed. It was a nice large room, but the window didn't open so it got stuffy. When Natalie and I ate or watched TV it was always in her room. Her window opened. 

Can you believe the setting for our lunch with Elle and Valeriya?

Westminster


The hotel on the way to our lodging is called Melia. This is on Mel's actual birthday!

This was my project about every 5 days - washing my clothes. I'd wash them, then hang them to dry. Brought me back to Bolivia mission days. 

Emily and I found her friend Rebecca who is on the SFLSA board with me

First Sunday in London at Hyde Park Chapel


Yum lunch at V&A cafeteria


V&A is a lovely building with lovely grounds. So many people were enjoying the fountain and the sunshine.

Menswear exhibit

Prosthetic underwear for transgender female to male. I thought this was interesting. 


The fabulous Michael Cane


Hyde Park Chapel

Gate to Kensington Garden

View out my window

Our neighborhood for 2 weeks. Can you believe it?! You should have seen the expensive cars.

Sophia on the metro


Raeburn






Breckyn and I had similar dotted texture shirts. We often wore them on the same day

"Beware the Ides of March"

THE Cindy Lawford in front of Beau Brummel statue



Look at this fabric!


Turnbull and Asser - such a beautiful store


This store makes the military attire for Brittain


Sewing rooms were in the basement


This sitting room was my favorite. Can you believe these colors? Customers get to come and relax here.


Alexander McQueen flagship store





Bees on the fabric and a honeycomb looking top. So beautiful




Westminster



Bus in front of Big Ben

Totally ready!

The gang's all here!

Bus to Stonehenge



So glad I took this lame raincoat

Harry Styles dress at the V&A

Mother's Day Gelato at Venci. We went here many times and missed it when we left London. Can't wait to go back. 

In Westminster Abbey




No comments:

Post a Comment