Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Learning Lessons

First of all, notice that I haven't titled this "Lesson Learned." I don't know that I've learned any lessons during this dang COVID 19 thing. I've had a couple of difficult days. Divorce sucks, even when the marriage was seriously lacking, even when the spirit tells you to do it, even when everything falls into place. Still, it sucks.

I'm back in Utah. Before I left, I asked Doug for a blessing. I'm really glad Kristen took notes and emailed them to me. I got them just when I needed them. Sunday, while talking to Allie, she told me Keenan officially considers himself gay. That's a lot to swallow. I mean, it's not much different from "being attracted to men" but it's definitely a title now. I'm divorced and my ex-husband is gay. Never thought that would be me. Oh well. Onward and forward. Like Bill Stonhaus said, "the past is the past. You've got great things to look forward to." Elder Cornish's counsel that "it's not the end of my story; just the end of a chapter."

Today, I was watching John Krasinski, an actor, on youtube. He's been doing this thing from home that is like a fake news broadcast and it's called Some Good News. I watched the past episodes that I'd missed. Basically, he sits at a desk in his house, with a homemade sign that his daughters made, and talks about the good things people are doing during the corona virus lockdown. People are sending in content to him now. He hosted a prom, with actual musicians attending and singing via skype or facetime. He officiated at a wedding with the whole cast of "The Office" coming after to dance (Krasinski was one of the stars of "The Office"). He hosted a graduation, with celebrities making appearances to answer graduates' questions. I was really touched by one young woman and her question, which was answered by Oprah. The girl asked if there was ever a failure in Oprah's life that actually helped her in the end. Oprah explained that her first big job was in Baltimore, MD, as a co-anchor. The other anchor was an older man and he didn't want her there. After a few months, she was demoted, removed from the anchor desk, and put on the station's talk show. Talk about fortuitous. Below is a bit of what I wrote that Oprah said.

"I believe that failure is an opportunity to move yourself in a different direction. It gets better because you learn the lessons from the first time." - Oprah Winfrey

"Baby, God put a rainbow in the clouds." - Maya Angelou

"Every dusk holds a dawn disguised within it." - a 2020 graduate who spoke at a virtual graduation on John Krasinski's "Some Good News" on YouTube

Blessing given 5/16/20 by Doug East

-I bless you with comfort.
-Know that Heavenly Father is aware of you and loves you and is happy with you.
-Heavenly Father recognizes your faith and concern and your diligence to others and your role as a mother.
-He is aware of the challenges you face now in your life.
-Approach and take each challenge one at a time, being mindful of study and understanding.
-Exercise your faith in understanding the process.
-Take comfort in knowing you are doing the right thing.
-There is love and concern from family and others, take advantage of them and wanting to help.
-Understand that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have a deep and abiding love for you.
-Challenges are given to learn and grow and you may not now or understand why.
-You will look back on this with knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment