Friday, August 28, 2015

A Visitor for My Boy in Chile

Last Saturday, the day after I arrived home from Arkansas, we had a Pleasanton Reunion. It was for youth of the 70's and 80's and our leaders. Because I had yogurt with "the girls," I couldn't go until later in the afternoon. The yogurt girls are different than the walking girls. We yogurt girls have been going monthly for yogurt for a couple of years. It's Cathy Voorhees and Gloria Pratt, my neighbors. We really have a great time. I'm the baby. Gloria is in her early 70's and Cathy is in her early 60's. This was a great visit, but I got kinda sad news. Cathy is leaving us. She and Bill are moving. That's a good thing. They need a smaller place, where kids can't move in. Gloria is also leaving. She's going on a mission to Croatia. Come November, I'll be alone on the street. Cathy and I will still get yogurt.

Ok, back to the reunion. Most people there were about 10 years older than I. It was still great, because dad was bishop to all of us. It was fun to share stories. Deb was there and it was so fun to catch up. We usually are around each other when there's a lot going on with lots of family. It was fun to just sit and talk to her. We especially talked about our family's job situation right now. It was nice to visit. She's great. I have a renewed appreciation for her. Just one afternoon, but it made a huge impact on me. The reunion was so fun. I wore my cute California t-shirt. I got there around 5:00 and didn't leave until 9:00 pm. Mom and dad had pretty much been there all day. It was just lovely and we talked about how we grew up in a magical time in an idyllic place. Pleasanton in the 70's and 80's really was something else. The ward was full of great talent and dedicated leaders. Ideal!

Families that I grew up with were represented. Coburns, Adams, McClearys, Merrills, Herrmanns, Gwilliams, Moris, etc. The Coburn girls and their mom were there. In talking with them, they learned that Kamiko is in Chile. Their brother Kevin who is Kristen's age, is a pilot and flies to Chile often. I asked them if they think he'd take something to Kamiko, just for fun. This was Saturday. Well, they said he'd love to. By Wednesday night, I was getting messages asking me for the address of the mission office. Wow, that was fast. I got texts from Kevin, confirming his plan to find Kamiko. Carlos helped me locate the street address of the mission office.

Thursday morning I was on my walk and I got a text. IT WAS A PICTURE OF KEVIN AND KAMIKO. Kevin said Kamiko seems in great spirits. He was already eating the Snickers bar and Cosmic Brownies when Kevin left. Boy, I was so grateful for that visit. Aren't Mormons great?!


My former next door neighbor Kevin Coburn and Elder Adcock
The mission office. I think Kamiko may live here, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment