Thursday, March 5, 2015

A Visit from a Childhood Friend

The Adams moved to Pleasanton in 1970. I think that's what Cami told me. I can't remember not knowing them. I remember vividly being in elementary school and they moved to Germany for a while. My BFF was leaving. I cried in the living room of our home on Tanglewood Way. Cami had two older brothers, Darin and Jeff, an older sister, Michelle, and a younger sister, Cherise (nicknamed Poodie). The Adams were in our ward and Cami lived close enough that I could ride my bike to her house. I probably wouldn't let my kids ride that far and that young age now, but it worked in the 70's.

We grew up together, always in the same ward. We began in Pleasanton 2nd Ward, then 3rd, and ended in 4th. Brother Adams was a math teacher at a community college. He was our seminary teacher during 9th and 12th grade. He was an exceptional teacher. He was also the consummate entertainer. The Adams had the best birthday parties. Our ward had the best road shows and we had the best youth activities, including the annual all-night party at the church, thank to Brother Adams.

Sister Adams was an elementary school teacher and always involved in Primary at church. She made the best German pancakes when I would spend the night at Cami's house. They seemed to take forever to bake. Now I know it's only 20 minutes. It seemed like an eternity when I was a kid.

Cami went to BYU when I did. She went on a mission to Germany. She married Jay Hansen and they live in California. We have kept in touch only through facebook, which is good, but a bit superficial. It's nice to know what she's up to, though. They have 3 daughters. They are very talented and musical. Cami teaches music at a private school. That way her girls have been able to attend this performing arts school. She battled breast cancer a couple of years and beat it. She's cancer free. The cancer was caught in a routine mammogram. Her family has been very involved in Susan G. Koman race for the cure cancer runs.
Here we are in the foods lab. She looks great!

Cami was in town to see her daughter perform in a BYU theater production, so she stopped at the foods lab. It was fun to introduce her to everyone and catch up. She stayed for over an hour and we had a lovely visit. I must look her up when I go to the Bay Area next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment