Friday, April 19, 2013

Work...I love my work!

We've had some adventures at work. The sad news was the Jenny Fosdick, our food buyer, had to leave us for a full-time job. I miss her. Fridays aren't the same without her. Her family needed the benefits and increase in income. She has become a dear friend. We'll keep in touch via book club, etc. Starlyn, who is already in charge of TA's, has taken over the food purchasing part, too. That's a lot to do!

Jessica, one of our TA's and a friend of the Easts, is pregnant. That's been fun. She's having a boy at the end of May. She is very short, so looks very pregnant. I love seeing her work. She just keeps working and working. I get so tired watching her. I'm glad young girls are pregnant, not old ladies like me. Her baby shower was last weekend. Starlyn and I went. Jessica's mom was there. She's in Kristen's ward and said Kris is doing a great job as RS president. That doesn't surprise me.

The big week of the semester is the one before magnificent meal lab. The TA's all come in force and help divide food for labs. Each lab has 2 or 3 groups that have planned their own menu for a meal. It's a lot of food and a lot of dividing. Starlyn had her husband, Lee, bring pizza and soda in. We all took a break after the food had been divided. Coincidently, Jenny had stopped by on her lunch break. It was fun to have everyone there. We got a great group picture. I love my co-workers, TA's and students.


Me and Marci in Easter aprons I made. It was pie week. So fun to teach these kids a dying art: apple pie!

Starlyn's husband, Lee, stopped by. Ali, Annie, Jenny, Lee and Starlyn


So glad Jenny stopped by when we were partying. Ali, Annie, Jenny, me and Starlyn


Back row: ?, Lynne Hoffmann, Mat Williams (our only guy), Tracy, Charity Byrd ,
Jenny Fosdick, Annie Christensen, Ali Chumbley
Front Row: Jen, ?, Lexi, Jessica Lewis, me, Natasha Stout, Starlyn Hjorth


THE mission call


It was very exciting when we got to open a mission call in the lab - quite unexpectedly! Natasha, our cute TA who grew up in Japan, but now lives in Nauvoo, got her call. Her equally-cute roommate brought it by just so we could see it. We teased Natasha and told her to open in there. We told her we wouldn't tell anyone. She had promised her younger siblings she would wait until they got home from school. She was a good sister and waited. BUT...she told us we could open it and just not tell her where she was going. WHAT???????!!!!!!! It's true! So, her roommate, Marci Smith, Starlyn Hjorth, Ali Chumbley and I went into the walk-in fridge to open it. We were sure she'd go to Japan since she speaks the language and it's a tough one to learn. WRONG. Her roommate opened it and only said "Oh...My...Gosh!" She is going to Seoul, Korea. That was a huge surprise! We composed ourselves and walked out of the fridge. Her roommate assured her she would like it. That was a very memorable moment from the food lab.
Work-related things coming up:

- On break right now, until spring term begins April 30
- Annie speaks in her student ward on Sunday at 9:00 am. I'm going to hear her talk
- Starlyn's son, Colby, gives his farewell talk on Sunday at 11:00 am. Going straight from Annie's. Taking a fruit salad. I think Jenny is coming, too.
- Book club next week at Jenny's house

No comments:

Post a Comment