Thursday, December 13, 2012

Happy Santa Lucia

It's December 13th, Santa Lucia. It's the day a lot of Europe, Sweden included, celebrates light in the middle of a very dark winter. The eldest daughter of the family, wearing a crown of candles, wakes the family and they enjoy breakfast.  We have celebrated this since my youth. Americanize it. I woke up the family and we had danishes, hot chocolate, fruit, eggs and bacon. Each kid got an ornament from our trip to Nauvoo. We got a lovely carved wood ornament from Sweden from mom and dad.


Our table is set! Dad made the candle abra for advent.
Notice the framed picture from "White Christmas" movie!

Saffron bread, traditionally eaten and Christmas and Easter in Sweden.
Thanks to Jenny and Chris Fosdick for giving me saffron from Turkey. That stuff is expensive!
So, the day got better and better. After breakfast I walked with Sherie. Sandy is recovering from foot surgery. I then went and got Mel from school. Allie wanted to be checked out, too. So I got her. Then Mel and I met Keenan at the temple. We have ONE female card that needed work. At first, it seemed silly to worry about just one card, but I really wanted to get this work done. I realized one card is important. It's one family member! Elisabet Helgesdotter, from Norway, born in 1820. Mel did the baptism and confirmation; I then did the initiatory. I will do the endowment next week and that will be our Christmas present to Elisabet. Can't think of a better thing to do. Melia is so cute in the temple. I love that girl. It was great to watch Keenan baptize and confirm her. A blessing!

We leave at 5:00 this afternoon to get on a plane to California. We will be in Disneyland tomorrow with Derek, Rachel and Rose. We will also be there on Saturday. We will go to church with Der and family on Sunday, then fly home. The girls will only miss one day of school. Should be a blast. It's an early Christmas present to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment